Mayor of San Fulgencio, José Sampere, and Councillor for Culture, David Vives, met members of the press this week to announce the much anticipated reopening of the Archaeological Museum, which had been closed for 14 years.
The museum showcases archaeological findings from two important sites, ‘La Escuera’ and ‘El Oral’.
Inaugurated in 1995, the Archaeological Museum had been closed for more than 14 years and, “unfortunately, it was used on many occasions during this time for purposes that had little to do with its mission,” Vives explained. After receiving a report last October from the Culture Ministry’s technicians, which put on record the poor state of preservation of the museum, “this government team reacted and got under way, also informing members of the opposition, to draw up an action plan as soon as possible and be able to achieve his recovery,” said the councillor.
The mayor said that the reopening is the result of “the firm commitment of this town hall to solve these deficiencies and to allow that the museum can reopen its doors to be visited again.”
The Department of Culture also carried out a number of preparations, “such as the cleaning of the space and the preparation, placement and labelling of the pieces of the permanent exhibition in both Spanish and Valencian in addition to the acquisition of suitable containers for the preservation of archaeological remains.” Improvements have also been made in the security of the building with the collaboration of San Fulgencio Local Police, providing cameras for the surveillance system in addition to officers that will help control access to it, as the police premises are adjacent to the museum.
The Mayor revealed that “the museum requires two technical projects to be carried out, one for the museum itself and another to undertake works on the site, which includes removing damp and fixing the walls and the floor, and these amounts will come entirely from the coffers of the San Fulgencio City Council.”
The mayor also revealed that “confirmation has been received from the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports that our status as a museum will not be taken away from us nor will we be left out of the Valencian Museum System.”
On the other hand, the town hall held a meeting with the director of the MARQ (Provincial Archaeological Museum), Manuel Olcina, who offered the support of the institution and his collaboration to restore any of the pieces in case it were necessary.
The Municipal Archaeological Museum of San Fulgencio is located in the Plaza de la Constitución and can be visited (following all the security measures and protocols against Covid-19) from Monday, February 1, free of charge. Opening hours will be from Monday to Friday, from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., and it will be necessary to request an appointment through the municipal information telephone number 966 79 42 01.